A Mini Guide to a Child’s Oral Health Care
What is Paediatric Dentistry and why is it important?
Paediatric Dentistry is a branch in dentistry that deals with various dental problems from birth and all along through adolescence. We all do fear visiting the dentist. It can be at times a painful procedure if the signs are ignored, but even if that’s not the case anxiety surely does engulf us! But this should not be a reason enough to ignore one’s oral health especially for children. Right from birth oral care should be of utmost importance. Majority of the issues start from unhealthy or unfit practices that can be corrected right from the start. For example, dental fluorosis is a condition that occurs due to excess fluoride intake that could happen anywhere between the age group of a new born to 8-year-old. So, a lot can be changed in a short span of time!
What kind of treatments do the paediatric dentists provide?
- An Infant’s oral health examination
- Preventive dental care treatments, as well as nutrition and diet recommendations
- Habit counselling
- Early assessment by the orthodontist for straightening teeth and correcting an improper bite
- Repair of tooth cavities or defects
- Diagnosis of oral conditions associated with diseases such as diabetes, asthma, hay fever etc.
- Management and early diagnosis of gum diseases and conditions
- Treating dental injuries
What is Teething and How to deal with Babies during the Teething period?
Teething is a phenomenon that naturally occurs to all babies. It is the period wherein baby teeth start erupting. It can be a phase of extreme distress to both the babies and its caregivers. It generally occurs between the age group of 6-24 months and includes symptoms like
- Mild Fever
- Skin Rashes
- Cheek rubbing and ear pulling
- Changes in eating or sleeping patterns
A few tips to ease the pain in baby’s gums that could come handy at home are:
- Use a clean cloth to rub your baby’s gums. A little massage can ease the discomfort in the baby’s gums.
- Teething rings can be soothing on a baby’s gums.
- If your baby is especially getting crankier, consider giving your baby an infants’ pain medication as directed by the paediatric dentist.
Toddlers and the importance of Oral Care
It is important to inculcate healthy habits right from the start. They set a standard for the entire life. Early check-ups prevent the formation of tooth decays, any gum diseases or onset of anything painful can be prevented. Early visits to the dentist and correct learnings help the children learn about the proper techniques of brushing, flossing etc.
The Biggest Myth
The biggest myth that must be demystified is “babies don’t require a dental treatment” or “milk teeth are temporary; we will think about a dental treatment when my child gets his/her permanent teeth”. These few careless mistakes can certainly lead to bigger issues and it’s unnecessarily a trouble for the innocent baby. Please do not fall under any misconceptions and myths. A Paediatric dentist takes painstaking efforts to qualify and specialise in this branch. No one other than a paediatric dentist knows what’s best for your child’s oral healthcare. Regular dental check-ups for your children can be considered as the best parenting habits one can have.
It goes without a say that Oral hygiene is a crucial topic and should be discussed and talked about starting from the basics. A simple thing such as the right way of brushing can do wonders for your child. Getting to know about the appropriate age to use mouthwashes and getting regular check-ups to avoid any future dental complications
Image Source- babycenter.ca