Restoration of an Edentulous Maxilla. A Lecture by Dr. Norman Kwan
Mistakes in Implantology are bound to happen. Failures are bound to happen. “Failures are stepping stones to success” is a very true saying in oral implantology. Failures make an Implantologist. The solution is how to Minimize and Manage these problems. With every case you do, you need to understand what could be avoided to save time and become more productive.
When it comes to implant dentistry, prosthetic failures are often much more than implant failures. Screw loosening is one of the most common prosthetic failures. If you’re an Implantologist doing various types of cases, this blog post will certainly help you. Read the complete post to be able to do an edentulous maxillary implant case easily.
Dr. Norman Kwan delivered this webinar. Dr. Kwan has been very passionate about research and invention. The BioHex One-piece One- Stage Implant System results from three decades of research, innovation, and engineering.
Dr. Kwan understood the need to develop a revolutionary implant system that will be cost-effective and beneficial for all and hence got to his mission of inventing an implant system suitable to all kinds of patients.
Case of Restoration of Edentulous Maxilla with Dental Implants
- Prosthesis: One-piece, Crown & Bridge, Ceramco-metallic, screw-retained & engaging restoration
- Useful Tip
Be extra careful when it comes to restoration of the maxilla using multiple implants it is very
Step 1 : Abutment – The Missing Link
He used the hexagonal abutment that was developed by himself and attached it to the Branemark implant. This was an Indexed healing abutment that was incorporated onto the implant and the treatment objective was to place the abutment/ implant in the ideal position to support the planned prosthesis
Step 2: Treatment Planning- Team Communication via Abutment
- List down your treatment planning and how you wish to achieve during surgery
- Plan the treatment on the model so that you don’t have any room for error during the actual surgery
- Prosthetic Objectives: How many Abutments would be required & Where?
- Surgical Objectives: How would you want to go ahead with the surgical procedure? Goal should be to support the prosthesis by placing the abutment/ implant in the exact position as planned by the restorative dentist and the laboratory
Step 3: Pre-prosthetic procedures
- AAccurately place the Implant and more accurately the Abutment
- Visually verify the exact position of the abutment before you move the next step. Don’t forget to give a special attention to the gingival margin
Step 4: Healing Options
- Use a Hexagonal shape Abutment as a healing abutment
Step 5: Healing Period
- Use an internal hexed healing ball secured to the abutment to allow maximum gingival displacement to see a customized anatomical emergence profile
Step 6: Prosthetic Procedures
- The healing ball is used as a transfer coping. This healing ball is internally hexed to allow timed transfer of hexed abutment (3-dimension)
Step 7: Final Impression
- Final Impressions in the case of an Edentulous Maxilla largely depends on the Abutment placement.
- These impressions determine the ultimate prosthesis.
- Make sure to use Abutments with the correct geometry
- Good Tip is to secure the healing ball to abutment with guide pin and employ the open tray technique
Step 8: Abutment level prosthetics
- Surgically determine the Subgingival margins
- Maximize gingival displacement to allow customize anatomical emergence profile
- See the direct prosthetic connection at the abutment level
Step 9: Laboratory Procedures
Submit the final impressions to get a screw retained engaging prosthesis
About Dr. Norman Kwan
Dr. Kwan is a dentist, research scientist, educator, inventor and an entrepreneur; he has dedicated his entire professional career to improve the quality of life for dental patients by making dental implant simpler, more affordable and predictable
Dr. Kwan obtained his Master of Science from the University of Toronto in 1977 and his Doctor of Dental Surgery from the University of Toronto in 1982. He is licensed by the Royal College of Dental Surgeons in Ontario. Dr. Kwan have taken implant courses in 1987 at Lund University, Sweden; Harvard University, Boston in 1987-1989 and Brookdale Hospital Medical Centre, New York in 1989-1990.
Dr. Kwan is member and Diplomate of many International implant organizations.
He was Educational Chairperson for Ontario Study Club of Osseointergration from 1991-1993. He has performed over 1000 implant & restorative procedures since 1985. He had taught implant procedures to dentists and Universities all over the world including New Jersey Dental School in United States.
He is the developer and inventor of the BioHex One Piece – One Stage Dental Implant & Restorative System. He holds 5 US and One international patent for the One-piece implant invention. He is the founder and CEO of Biomedical Implant Technology Inc., His company is located in St. Catharines and manufactures the BioHex One-piece, One-stage implant. The company is FDA compliant since 1997 and ISO 13485:2003 CMDCAS Certified.
Dr. Kwan also founded The Canadian Dental Implant Institute (CDII) in 1991,which conducts research and provides clinical treatment to patients. CDII is dedicated to providing affordable implant treatment to patients. There are currently three CDII treatment clinics, in Ontario Canada, Mexico City and Shanghai China. One of the research competition/submission in 1999 hosted by the world most première implant organisation, Academy of Osseointegration, Dr. Kwan’s research received the highest ranking of almost 100 submitted Abstracts from all over the world. Over the last 15 years, National Research Council (NRC) and Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency ACOA of Canada also provided continued research supports.
Dr. Kwan received Niagara Entrepreneur of the year Award in 1999 for innovation achievement.
About Biomedical Implant Technology Inc
Biomedical Implant Technology Inc., Manufactures, Markets & Distributes BioHex™ One-piece One- Stage™ Abutment implant & restorative components for the replacement of natural dentition. Manufactured in Canada, this implant system has been researched for over 30 Years.
To Know more about the BioHex™ One-piece One- Stage™ Implant System
Contact: 905-766-1810 (EST 7am-4pm) ( IST 5.30PM onwards)
Email: [email protected]