The New & Improved Mini Dental Implants
Quite often one may find themselves in a situation where they go to the dentist to get their teeth removed and end up learning that the cost of implants is pretty high and unaffordable, well today we have a solution for people like you.
“Sometimes great things come in small packages”
Historic Revolution of Mini Implants:
Mini implants were initially used as interim implants to support prostheses while the larger, traditional implants were in the healing phase.
They are now being seen as extremely useful in long-term applications. When they were used as interim implants, the intent was to remove them when the larger implants were put into service. As one might have anticipated, but when attempting to remove the interim mini-implants, practitioners found that they can’t be removed because they had gotten integrated into the bone during the interim service period.
Because the Mini implants showed such obvious evidence of osseointegration, as well as the capability for immediate load-bearing, the companies that were originally producing interim mini-implants started producing Mini implants for long-term use.
Definition: Mini implants are dental implants that are fabricated less than 3 mm thinner and shorter than traditional implants, and are a single-piece structure of made from the same Bio-Compatible material as the traditional implants.
Mini dental implants are comparable to traditional implants. But they are made of a single-piece structure. Whereas traditional implants usually consist of two parts.
Mini implants are a one-piece titanium screw with a ball-shaped head for denture stabilization or a square prosthetic head for fixed applications, instead of the abutment.
Mini Implants with a bracket-head design can help in orthodontic treatment and serve as indirect anchorage.
Mini implants protrude over the surface of the gum when they are placed into the bone.
- Mini implants can be considered for retaining over-denture prostheses as an alternative treatment when standard implant placement is not possible.
- Mini implants can also be used instead of a traditional implant in the case of patients who are dissatisfied with dentures and have limitations regarding the placement of traditional implants.
- No need for flap surgery: Mini-implants have all the advantages of traditional implants in general, but, as their name implies, they are smaller and can be placed without the flap surgery.
- The procedure is less invasive and heals Faster: Mini implants do not require surgery like dentures, so the prosthetic tooth can be placed within hours and the healing process is much faster.
- No need for bone grafts: There’s no need for painful bone grafts.
- Less Discomfort: Less disturbance to bone and tissue means most patients need only over-the-counter pain medication, if any, for a day or so after the procedure.
- Less Awkwardness: Unlike dentures, mini implants do not slip or feel awkward. They can be used, however, to realign and improve dentures.
- Convenience: The procedure can be completed in a single visit to the dentist and the patients can eat normally the same afternoon in most cases.
- Prevents facial collapse: Since the mini implant is fixed in your jawbone like the root of your teeth, it prevents collapse of facial structure that can occur with bone loss.
- Lesser Complications: Mini dental implant failures and complications are rare, due to the techniques and protocols doctors have refined over many years.
- Affordable: The typical cost of a Mini implant procedure is more than 65% less when compared to standard implant procedures.
- Jaw Bone Height requirement: Mini implants require a strong bone structure to support them, they cannot be used in an area of the jaw with inadequate bone height or if there has been too much bone loss.
- Teeth Grinding Habit: You might not be a good candidate for mini dental implants if you have the habit of grinding your teeth regularly, as it may wear them down before they fuse with the bone.
Reasons why Mini Implants are better than Standard Implants…?
- Mini implants are the new and improved minimal design of standard implant shape, thread patterns, and surface treatments that lead to enhanced primary stability and faster osseointegration.
- The size of the mini-implant affects the area of possible retention in bones
- Favorable occlusion and masticating forces significantly influence the mini-implant success.
- The number and position of mini-implant within the prosthesis affect the forces acting on the bone surrounding the implants.
- Although stress distribution can vary depending on implant diameter and shape along with the direction of the load, its load-bearing ability is generally comparable to a standard implant.
- Mini implants cost significantly less than traditional implants.
- Mini implants are easily available in custom sizes, and shapes.
What is the cost of mini dental implant procedures in India…?
Mini implant procedures in India can cost around Rs.6,000 to Rs.20,000 depending on the type of, material and brand of the mini implant being used.