5 Things to Know about Charcoal Teeth Whitening
Charcoal is one of the most common wellness and cosmetics trends right now. It’s a common ingredient in commercial face masks and scrubs, and some people swear by it for teeth whitening. Activated charcoal, which is used in cosmetics and toothpaste, is a fine grain powder made from wood, coconut shells, and other natural materials that have been oxidized under extreme heat.
Is it possible to use charcoal toothpaste to whiten your teeth?
Activated charcoal in toothpaste can aid in the removal of surface stains on the teeth. Charcoal is slightly abrasive and can absorb surface stains to a certain extent. However, there is no proof that it works on stains under the enamel of a tooth or that it has a natural whitening effect. To whiten teeth, a product must address both surface and underlying stains, which are those that exist under the enamel. Although activated charcoal has a number of proven benefits, there isn’t enough empirical evidence to support one of them: teeth whitening.
Is it possible to use charcoal toothpaste?
The long-term effects of charcoal toothpaste require further study. A review from 2017 Due to the unproven claims and protection, dentists should advise their patients to be careful when using charcoal-based kinds of toothpaste, according to Trusted Source.
So far, here’s what we know about charcoal toothpaste:
Too abrasive for daily use is charcoal toothpaste. Using an abrasive substance on your teeth will wear down the enamel. Since the dentin, a calcified yellow tissue, is exposed, your teeth can appear yellower. Your teeth can become more responsive as a result of it. Fluoride isn’t used in most charcoal toothpaste products. Fluoride helps to maintain the strength of your tooth enamel, which protects your teeth from cavities and decay. Charcoal toothpaste has been linked to an increase in tooth decay in several studies.Some teeth can become stained as a result. Particles of charcoal can collect in the cracks and crevices of older teeth.
What are some of the benefits of using charcoal toothpaste?
To date, the following are the only known advantages of charcoal toothpaste:
- It could aid in the removal of surface stains on the teeth.
- It could help with bad breath.
- When used after a professional cleaning, it can help prevent staining.
What are the disadvantages of using charcoal toothpaste?
The following are some of the disadvantages of using charcoal toothpaste:
- It’s abrasive, which means it can break down tooth enamel and turn teeth yellow.
- It won’t get rid of stains under the enamel.
- Tooth sensitivity may be caused by everyday use.
- The majority of brands lack fluoride, which helps to prevent cavities and tooth decay.
- It has the potential to discolor older teeth as well as dental restorations such as veneers, bridges, crowns, and white fillings.
- Its long-term consequences and safety have yet to be determined.
What else would you do to whiten your teeth?
If you want to whiten your teeth, you have a lot of healthy and effective choices.Dentists may also recommend professional whitening items.
You have the following options:
- toothpastes that whiten teeth
- Whitening strips
- in-office whitening
- at-home whitening under the supervision of a dentist
Home remedies that are natural
These alternatives may not be as successful as some consumer teeth whitening products, but they are more natural and simple to implement. Consult your dentist first to see if these choices are appropriate for you:
- peroxide (H2O2)
- soda bicarbonate
- vinegar made from apple cider
- Brushing after meals and consuming drinks that stain teeth, such as coffee, tea, and red wine, should be done on a regular basis.
Despite the fact that charcoal toothpaste has received a lot of coverage and press, it isn’t any more effective than other kinds of toothpaste and at-home whitening products currently on the market. It can help remove surface stains, but due to limited research, the long-term effects of this product are uncertain. Consult your dentist to determine the right whitening method for you.