TREATMENT FOR MOUTH ULCERS
Most mouth ulcers are usually harmless and resolve by themselves within 10-14 days. Other types of mouth ulcers such as the apthous variety or those caused by herpes simplex infection need topical treatment such as ointment, mouthwash or gel.
Treatment options for mouth ulcer include-
1) SELF CARE
- Avoid spicy foods, acidic fruit drinks and very salty foods (such as crips) which can make the pain and stinging worse.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Keep your mouth clean.
- Apply antiseptic gel to ulcers.
- Pain relief creams or ointments such as Mucopain gel or Orasore.
- Cooling mouth rinses with cold water or applying ice to the ulcer.
- Rinsing the mouth with salt water and baking soda.
- Using the straw to drink cool drink to avoid the liquids touching ulcers infront of the mouth.
- Avoid hot drink like tea and coffee.
- If you suspect a medication is causing the ulcers then change may be possible.
- if you are using oral nicotine replacement theraphy (nicotine gum or lozenges), it may help to use a different type instead such as patches or nasal spray.
- Mouthwash- Cholorohexidine gluconate mouthwash (cholorohex) may reduce pain. It may also help to preventulcers from becoming infected. Cholorohexedine mouthwash is usually used twice or thrice a day. It may stain teeth brown if you used regularly, but this may fade once treatment is finished. Unfortunately it does not reduce the number of new ulcers.
- Steroid Lozenges- Corticosteroid lozenges may reduce pain and speed up healing. These are best used as soon as the ulcer appears. Corticosteroids are available on prescription as tablets, mouthwash, paste or spray. These corticosteroids should not used by children under 12.
- Sooting protective paste- Amlexanox Oral paste (5%) help to cover the ulcer temporarily to protect it.
3) HOME REMEDIES
a) BAKING SODA ( SODIUM BICARBONATE) PASTE
- It acts as one of the best mouth ulcer cure, as it can reduce the pain significantly.
- Take equal amount of bakig soda and water. Mix them to create a thick paste. Apply this paste on the mouth and let it dry out. Once the mixture has dried, rinse your mouth with water and gargle as well. This should be done three times each day.
b) SALT-WATER MIXTURE
- Mix table spoon of a salt in a glass lukewarm water. Now gargle throughly using this liqud. Once you are done, you can gargle with plain water to remove the salty taste from your mouth. Using this procedure, you can soothe some of the pain and discomfort that you experience during the mouth ulcer.
- The antiseptic properties of salt are well known.
- Plain yogurt or curd is considered an excellent food for treating mouth ulcers as it helps in soothing the mouth as well as combating bacteria responsible for this condition.
- For treating mouth ulcers, it is adviceable that you aim at consuming around 200grams of yogurt each day.
- Honey can soothe ulcers as it helps retain moisture and accelerates the healing process.
- It also has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
- Simply dip a cotton swab in the honey anddab it on the affected area. You can also use glycerin or Vitamin E oil.
e) CLOVE OIL
- Clove oil is extracted from flower bud. This extract is used in a wide range of natural remedies including tooth ache and mouth ulcers.
- In case of mouth ulcers, take a small piece of cotton and apply the oil directly on the ulcer. Wait till ulcer tissue absorbs the oil.
f) ALOEVERA GEL
- Aloevera is an effective natural remedy of mouth ulcer.
- It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial curative properties that help to ease the pain and inflammation as well as speed up the healing process.
- Extract the gel from the fresh aloevera leaf and apply directly on the mouth ulcer. Do this several times a day. Alternatively, you can rinse your mouth with aloevera juice about three or four times a day.
g) TUMERIC POWDER
- Along with fighting infections, tumeric is also effective in battling against the inflammation and pain from the mouth ulcers. This product has antimicrobial properties as well.
- Take a bit of tumeric powder and some water. Mix to form a thick paste on the ulcers every morning and evening. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rise it off properly. You should notice the difference immediately.
h) FENNEL SEEDS
- Drink a glass of milk with a pinch of fennel seeds will be one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- It will alleviate the pain by soothing the stomach disorders.
- Eating banana regularly during mouth ulcer gives excellent result.
- You can also use banana paste as a great home remedy for mouth ulcer.
- Leaves of tulsi plants have amazing medicinal properties and one of the most important actions of tulsi is as an adaptogen substance that aids the body to adapt stress.
- Chew a few leaves of tulsi along with some water about three to four times everday.
- Dry coconut, coconut oil and coconut water are the three products of coconut trees that are very useful in treating mouth ulcers.
- Drinking coconut water helps to cool the body.
- Applying a little coconut oil on the mouth ulcer or chewing some coconut (fresh or dry) helps reduce pain and inflammation and hence, ulcers heal faster.
To prevent getting mouth ulcers, use these tactics:
- Using a soft toothbrush to brush your teeth.
- Avoiding hard, spicy, salty, acidic or hot food and drink until the ulcer heals.
- Practice good oral hygiene.
- Employ gentle brushing for your teeth and gums.
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet.
- Get a good intake of Vitamin B, C and zinc.
- Learn some relaxation tips to relieve stress.
- Quit smoking.
- Chew slowly.
- Have a proper sleep.
- Have a regular checkup at your dentist- your dentist can spot and treat problems such as sharp teetg or fillings that could damage your tooth.
Mouth ulcers are usually temporary, healing on their own within one to two weeks, and harmless. If mouth ulcers does not heal with two or three weeks, it could be a sign of a disease that you need medical attention and treatment for. If mouth ulcers recur frequently, are large in size, continue to develop or are painless, see your dentist for advice and a health checkup.
There are no comments yet.